What do you think about the ongoing Lagos State Internet fibre project?

The Lagos state government is currently constructing fibre optic infrastructure around the city. If you’ve been moving around a lot, you must have noticed some workers digging around the city.

The plan is to unify all telecom infrastructure in the city. This way, telcos will no longer have to lay fire cable ducts themselves, they will just have to lease from whoever is the constructor of such a project.

The state government handed the project to what seems to be two Internet shy companies. Messrs Western Telecommunications and Engineering Services Metro Limited which is surprising?

Meanwhile, countries like Russia and Kenya have already tried and failed, while Rwanda has not recorded stellar results from the initiative. You can read more here

What do you think?

Should this project have been given to the likes of MainOne, Glo or any other well-known company?
Will it really bring wider coverage faster connectivity?

2 Likes

I think the main reason is to generate revenue for the state.
A lot of people felt bad when some african countries started demanding tax from internet users. Today the situation is different due to the pandemic a lot of individuals are demanding for tax.
Its a strategy the Lagos state Govt. has employed to get back on its feet.

U sure they are not clearing blocked drainage sha…

Thats another twist to it too
but nahhhhh
i dont think so

I believe we can overlook the Internet shyness of the companies that the Lagos State government has engaged, in as much as they are competent enough to deliver which is key.
With this, a new entrant into the telecommunications industry won’t have to worry about its own infrastructure as it can just plug into the already available infrastructure. And this is definitely going to drive competition.

1 Like

It seems nice on paper. But there’s a history of distrust in our government and the possibility that major stakeholders were not carried along in the plan, does not sit right.

Also, when this same thing was done in Rwanda, it didn’t improve competition. The major telcos still dominated proceedings because of the high prices.

1 Like

Baba :joy:

Shouldn’t it be done with a bit more transparency?

I pretty agree with you here, i am a bit skeptic when the public sector especially in Nigeria engage in stuff which on a good day should be powered or pushed by the private sector …

1 Like

Egbon, shine ya eyes o, na lagos be this…transparency ko entanglement ni .

1 Like

The dude who wrote letters to resident worked at LASIMRA https://www.linkedin.com/in/bankole-dare-60273117/ before he became CEO of a duct company. - This is an insider project.

1 Like

@Adewale i think you guys should interview this fella abi bawo?

Over to @Eruskkii

Whoever is awarded the contract, the truth of the matter is, to lay our fibre optics cables underground, we don’t need to digg nor excavate anymore. There are cost effective and efficient technologies that’ll do that for us. Not even in Lagos with her traffic situations should we start closing roads partially or fully. In South Africa for example, this technology which I am talking about is being deployed and the company supplying these technologies are now on ground in Nigeria.

You can contact me on 07061541979 or tunji@vermeernigeria.com. Also, visit https://www.vermeer.com/em/utility-installation