Is Netflix really a competitor to Nigerian VoD platforms or the Big Bad Wolf?

I’m not a VoD service provider to know how it feels to see Netflix’s growing interest in Nollywood content, but I think I wouldn’t feel safe.
And I believe this fear is reasonable.

It almost seems there’s enough to go round, but it is unlikely that there’s a fair competition between Netflix and the likes of Funke Akindele’s Sceneone TV, Ibaka TV, and the new EbonyLife ON.

iROKOtv that appears to be gaming the system clearly has its unique audience, add that to the advantage of years of operating. I think up and coming ones should learn from this and failure of some others.

Anyways, do you have any sentiments about Netflix’s Nollywood interest?
Should more Nigerian VoD platforms bother to come into the space?

1 Like

Netflix’s pockets are deep and engineering superb. I would have said they’re best for us except I fear they’ll never become Nigerian enough for us.

By “Becoming Nigerian”, I mean knowing what Nigerians want and giving it to them. Iroko so far has excelled the most on this:
-Teased out kiosks to rent out movies
-Download to watch later
-Having a pulse on content Nigerians like via ROK

The other guys you mentioned, I’ve not heard of. We’ll see who brings this 3 together best: tech, content and profits.

I applaud the work of creative content providers. They create the content that VoD thrives on.

However, the challenge arises when a single content outfits expects to retain user engagements by building subscription-based VoD platform with just their own content. This can’t scale. Except you are Disney.

What can tip the scale for local players could be better collaboration/pricing strategies between (creative content providers and platform owners)
For “content-first companies” coming into the VoD space, my thinking is that they feel they get less bargain than they deserve for their content, hence they are hoping to maximize revenue by owning their own platform.

You’re right about iROKOtv @stigwue Jason’s got it figured, I guess.

But then, I think the point you raised holds only if that’s what Netflix is really after or what Nigerians want.

Now, if Netflix’s goal is not becoming ‘Nigeria enough’ (although Netflix is possibly taking subscribers from the others), how do we expect them to make profits? [I’m sticking with ‘profit’ because we know quite well that they may not match when it comes to tech and content].

But this is unfortunately what the others are doing – likes of Sceneone and EbonyLife.
I just don’t know how well this can work. Not even in a market where video streaming culture is weak.

Concerning profit, a lot of us watch Netflix right now for the foreign content. My opinion is that no other platform competes with them on this except DSTv. And here also, they’re plagued with the same DSTv problems: purchase content with dollars and hope to recoup it from Naira subscriptions over time (racing against inflation too). I wish them luck.

They might reduce this game (of borrowing in dollars and paying in Naira) by licensing or shooting more local content. If they line up the big names like Mo Abudu and the rest, they might corner the local content people typically watch at cinemas: Nollywood 2.0

Something tells me owning/licensing non-live content alone will never be enough for VoD platforms. They have to replace TV somehow by either showing live content (esp games or reality TV) or spinning up near live content (scripts where shoot to air time is very low).

1 Like

Interesting… :face_with_monocle: