How are content creators coping this period?

I have been very concerned lately about the state of our content creators especially the ones that do not have very large followings. With this #COVID thing, I wonder how they are coping/managing to survive.

Monetizing has even been hard for a long time, what do you think they can do to make that easy for themselves? Because I believe good content requires good investments, look at Tayo Aina films and the others.

Every field faces a time when it needs to adjust, Content creators need to do so. I don’t think making it easy should be the goal but rather how to make it through this phase.

What can they do?
Rethink the value being offered. Even in times like this, People are still consuming content and people producing them are still cashing out. Less of copy and paste content. People value content that’s helpful.

Collaborate. They might not have a large following but by working one another, synergy plays out.

Wait it out. Even after all this, it might just be a matter of time, they’d have to weather this storm just like other people in different fields are.

Interesting take. I agree with you. What are the other ways technology can help though.

As the CEO of a content company, I can assure you that your concerns are genuine. Google Adsense is not sustainable, especially if your audience is majorly Nigerians/Africans; African countries have low CPM.

My advise:

• Build a product around your content (Pay per download type of content).

• Rethink your audience, can your content be modified to accommodate the audience from the UK, US etc.

• Think of training.

3 Likes

Great advice. That’s amazing! Are there other monetisation strategies? Came across a company called Shukran, useshukran.com, trying to build an African form of Patreon. I might also add that as an advice for those in content. Ad revenues require a certain amount of audience in the first place.

Great advice. That’s amazing! Are there other monetisation strategies? Came across a company called Shukran, useshukran.com, trying to build an African form of Patreon. I might also add that as an advice for those in content: Ad revenues require a certain amount of audience in the first place, it’s a bit hard for certain people to even make good enough money from AdSense.

I think the best revenue model is when your reader pays you (Subscriber model).

1 Like

Yup. But is that realistic in the African context?

It depends on what you are offering.
When Paid TV started in Nigeria long ago people thought it was not going to work.

Nigerians are use to FREE TO AIR SYSTEM (The NTA). But the likes of DSTV changed all our perception.
A lot of people are getting value for their money by paying for DSTV subscription.

1 Like