Companies Start to Think Remote Work Isn’t So Great After All

According to this WSJ article, companies in the U.S. are complaining the the initial thrill of working from home is dying down.

Now, as the work-from-home experiment stretches on, some cracks are starting to emerge. Projects take longer. Training is tougher. Hiring and integrating new employees, more complicated. Some employers say their workers appear less connected and bosses fear that younger professionals aren’t developing at the same rate as they would in offices, sitting next to colleagues and absorbing how they do their jobs.

Do you think this wfh fatigue might also affect (or is already affecting) companies in Africa? :thinking:

Only data will tell , over to you guys at TechPoint…do ya thing!

1 Like

@AlayeBaba right! it’s definitely worth exploring.

I’m in a remote learning program ATM and it comes with a ton of challenges from environmental serenity to power and many more.

Remote learning IMO from part of Africa is still a major challenge and passion and determination alone is not enough as a learner to pull through.

In the coming years, I really would like to see some of these challenges mitigated

2 Likes

this is so true. infrastructural issues like lack of power and internet are not even helping matters at all.

1 Like

Every model surely has its cracks, especially when it involves human management. So, we probably saw this coming.

But let’s not be tempted to quickly judge it as a Nigerian or African issue, the shortfalls of wfh are global. The forms they take might only differ.

When it comes to an issue like, say, collaboration on a large scale over a long time, I think proximity is a factor that will support desired productivity.

I don’t believe the current situation is enough to kill the thrill of remote work though, each system will find a way to manage it eventually.

2 Likes

Wait o guys ! “working from home” aint the same as “Learning from home”, the former is fueled/motivated by monetary reward unlike the later, the former can afford an alternative power source…las las na alert sure pass by month end

2 Likes

I’m not surprised that this is happening. Choosing to work from home is different from being forced to work from home and being unable to work from anywhere else. Many of us are not mentally equipped for this so a dip in productivity is not unlikely. Generally speaking, as social beings, we need that human connection to thrive regardless of our personality.

Let’s not even talk about the unique challenges those of us in this part of the world have to tackle to be able to manage working from home. It can get very frustrating. Remote work is great but it cannot be the only option we have.

3 Likes

I agree. Remote work is great at first, but there’s just something about being in an office with colleagues you can learn from and disturb at the same time.

4 Likes

No doubt the pandemic brought with it new habits and lifestyle, but with every passing day people aspire towards the normal lifestyle. It is more of a cycle of seeking out new thrills and experience after becoming used to an old experience. I won’t be surprised if in a post COVID-19 world, and things are back to normal, people start clamouring for remote work.

1 Like

well well @Ifeco3show , @Eruskkii Guys in as much as we are social beings that aspire towards the normal lifestyle etc …lets pause for a second and critically look at things from the prism of a business owner considering his balance sheet in these perilous times ( hard and harsh economic times).
I am aware that some businesses are cutting down on serious overhead cost by reason of wfh/remote work concept, some have been able to identify who and who matters in the work force in a post covid-19 era.
I personally know of a business that will be saving GOOD money on office rent, it took this pandemic to make he/she realize how wasteful it was renting the current office space, they are currently shopping for a smaller office while they remain profitable. I am sure there are similar stories out there.

Profitability & the survival of the business will always trumps employee desire here.

1 Like

very true. there’s no substitue for realtime/in-person collaboration.

but is sustained profitability guaranteed if employee productivity drops? :thinking:

well, there is always a replacement for the one who’s productivity drops …
The wheel of progress must keep spinning…no one has the right to clog it.